Sunday, February 04, 2007

Four for the Road



Here's the last BOAF block I'll layer before I leave for a statewide meeting followed by my quilt retreat. I'm hoping to get all four stitched down while I'm away. Then, I can meet all the online group deadlines that will pop-up while I'm finishing and defending my dissertation and finalizing all the substitutions for denied permissions for my textbook. It will beyond-wonderful to have both of those off my plate . . . forever!!!

If you have the BOAF book or patterns, you'll notice that I skipped the legs on these birds, and if you read the last post, you'll know that I did the same on the last block. I've decided that they add an unnecessary aspect of reality to the block that just creeps me out--stumpy bird legs. I like my birds free-floating :) I've been using up a bunch of my Baltimore applique-type fabrics in this project; all the gradients and washes. They're adding a nice sense of light and shadow. Below, you'll see all four blocks together, along with my dog's errant paw. She just loves fabric!



My next block background is a homespun plaid that will bring in the light/dark alternation of the zig-zag but in a very different fabric type. I've really enjoyed digging through my stash for this quilt and am so glad I didn't do a block of the month. It's been a nice stretch for the other side of my brain that's been languishing lately in favor of SPSS. I'm also trying to figure out how to explain all the blue I'm pulling. I'm not a blue person (in mood or color palette), but from the first block, I've been attracted to it for this project as a kicky accent. Intriguing.

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Which applique method are you using?

The pears look great in those fabrics!

Shelina said...

Wow, doing a dissertation at the same time as a book sounds like a lot of work. Good luck and enjoy your meeting, and especially the quilt retreat.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt!
Looks good so far-floating birds and all.

Helen said...

i like how your pears turned out. i once attempted a pear wwallhanging for a wedding gist, entitled, 'a perfect pear' with the stems of the pairs entwined.

nice pictures!